As a service to the Marin County Superior Court, The Marin Chapter of the California Grand Jurors’ Association’s Outreach Program is designed to educate our local residents about the value of serving on the Marin County Grand Jury. We start by making a distinction between Civil and Criminal Grand Juries. The Marin County Grand Jury deals only with civil activities related to our local governments and taxpayers dollars.
We begin our program year in July reviewing our prior year’s efforts. Following are the Outreach Committee’s objectives:
- Present a series of creative and noteworthy ads (January thru March) in the Marin IJ and various local news publications notifying the public of informational “open houses” to take place throughout Marin County.
- Participate in the annual Marin County Senior Fair (October) to provide information regarding the Grand Jury process and application procedure. Fair visitors may express interest in applying and are provided with appropriate information.
- The open house meetings include a Power Point presentation designed to explain what the Grand Jury is, and is not. Presentations may be given to groups/clubs of 30 or more, i.e. retiree associations, SIRS, etc. All meetings end with a Q&A session.
- Assuring diversity on the Marin County Civil Grand Jury is a goal of the Outreach Committee. Requests for and actual presentations take place in all areas of Marin, including Marin City, West Marin and San Rafael’s Canal neighborhood.
- Committee members conduct PSA/interviews on local radio and TV stations.
- A professional outreach video is shown in the jury room and elsewhere, most notably on the Grand Jury’s website.
- Input from all members of the Marin Chapter of the California Grand Jurors’ Association is welcome. We are open to ideas which will help us attain our goals.
See the Newsletter Archives for past newsletters.