WHAT YOU WILL NEED in order to submit a nomination online:
- Whether the nomination is for the A) Best Grand Jury report, B) Best Media Coverage award or C) Both
- Date and title of the specific report being nominated for the Best Grand Jury report (if A or C)
- Name(s) of media outlet or reporter(s) nominated for the Best Media Coverage award (if B or C)
- Chapter, Association, or CGJA member (if no CGJA Chapter or Association) submitting the nomination
- Contact name (if different from above)
- Contact mailing address
- Contact telephone number
- Contact e-mail address
- Either online links (URLs) or electronic copies of supporting documentation for the following:
- Nominated grand jury report (Best Grand Jury Report) and/or media outlet (Best Media Coverage award)
- Official response(s) to the report by county agencies or individuals, as required by the investigation (for A or C)
- Media coverage of the report (in all cases)
- Rationale: A brief explanation of why this nominee should receive the award
The criteria for the Best Grand Jury Reporting award include:
- Significance of the issue, topic rationale.
- Clear description of the investigation.
- Findings follow from facts, recommendations based on the findings.
- Clarity of the language, objectivity and fairness.
- Identified problems accompanied by suggested means for resolution.
- Impact on the citizenry.
- Difficulty of the investigation.
- Media coverage.
- Agency acknowledgement.
- Changes resulting from the report.
The criteria for Best Grand Jury Media Coverage award include:
[Nominations may be based on the coverage of a specific grand jury report or on the overall coverage given to a grand jury throughout the year.]
- Increased awareness of the county’s current or most recent civil grand jury
- Reported on the responses to grand jury report(s)
- Educated community about the civil grand jury system in general
- Covered the important basis of the grand jury report(s)
- In-depth reporting vs superficial account
- Extensive reporting (e.g., one-time versus multiple accounts and/or audience reach)
- Additional points for information on obtaining reports, applying for and submitting complaints to the grand jury